The earliest records dating to 1871 indicate Thomas J Foster (aka TJ - handsome guy pictured) operated a grocery store at 702 LW.
Mr. Foster's business interests went beyond groceries to include a bakery and restaurant. As the advertising poster claims, "Our oysters are the best." Good thing Mr. Foster was also an ice dealer and laid claim to,"the only firm storing Stone Lake ice."
After Mr. Foster's death the grocery store passed hands. Ultimately the business transitioned to Title Bros. Packing Company, a meat packing company. However, by 1947 the location became the site of several women's retail clothing stores.
Dee's Fashions lasted from approximately 1947 through 1949, Homer Hayden's Inc through about 1955, then the Diana Shop brings us to 1975. 702 LW was vacant in 1976 and 1977, then Body Boutique Figure Salon (pictured) occupied the space through 1985. Merle Norma Cosmetics took over in 1986 through 2002.
The current owner acquired the building in the fall of 2019. The vision is to better integrate the building with Plaza 618 by opening up the Monroe St. side of the building for office/retail space. Remaking the upstairs cold storage and designing modern downtown living completes the work/life balance in demand.